Enforcing Water Pollution Laws on Construction Sites


When builders clear land and it rains, muddy water is not supposed to leave the site (rules). However the silt fences, mulch and storm ponds are rarely good enough. Soil from construction sites is one of the main polluters of rivers everywhere, killing fish and costing millions in dredging and drinking water treatment downstream.


No one will prevent it until you report it. If you see muddy water leaving a construction site, report it with the form below.


Reporting Pollution from Construction Sites

Here or at SaveOurCounty.org you can click or copy the following to create an email, then fill in as much as you can.



Your name & address (email and/or US mail):

Location of muddy runoff (nearest address, route numbers, landmarks, etc.):

Name of Owner / Developer / Builder if known:

What is being built, if known:

Approximately how many acres have been cleared? ______ (1-2? A few? Many?)

Date or number shown on entrance sign, if any:

Date/time of attached pictures if possible


If you don't have email, or need to mail drawings or pictures on paper, send to:

Michael Zeto

DEP Enforcement

601 57th St, SE

Charleston WV 25304

County Engineer

PO Box 338

Charles Town WV 25414

Potomac Riverkeeper

1717 Mass. Av NW #600

Washington DC 20036

Elks Run Study

PO Box 1186

Harpers Ferry WV 25425

Owner/ Developer /Builder


(find address on web)

Learn More

If you want details on a construction site, ask the state for the storm water erosion plan submitted by that site. Identify the site by the date and name shown on the entrance sign (if none, give location, names, etc.) and write DEP.Plan@wv.gov or call 800-654-5227.

EPA has further guidelines on construction sites, which are phasing in until 2014, and will gradually be imposed in each state (Burke comments). NRDC has a 1999 report on what different cities do.

You can find a list of storm water and other permits by going to wvdep.org and clicking on E-DEP then on "water resources permit" or "water resources pending". Search by county or name. Each county has many permits, so it is usually easier to start with name. Use all names you know: for example some permits for Huntfield are under that name; others are under "Greenvest" the developer.

The permit process is described at http://listenv.homestead.com/files/permits.htm